Driver Education

Many schools offer driver education classes either during the school year or over the summer. We strongly recommend that your teen participate in this program if offered. You may also be able to find an independent driving school locally that will provide one on one training with your teen If either of those resources are an option, training from a parent or guardian can work.

As a parent, you can have a positive impact through knowledge of the New York State Graduated Driver License (GDL) law. You can contribute to the driving safety of your teen if you:

  • Accurately certify that your teen has had the required hours of practice driving with you as required by the GDL law. Before your teen can take the road test, they must complete at least 50 hours of practice driving, with at least 15 hours at night (after sunset) with a parent, guardian or driving instructor. The parent, guardian or instructor must certify the supervised practice driving on a Certification of Supervised Driving (MV-262). Form MV-262 must be given to the DMV license examiner the day your teen takes their road test.
  • Sign a parent and teen driving contract. Available for immediate download our FREE parent-teen driving contract - we have found in our years of experience by having teens simply sign this piece of paper they hold themselves accountable. It gives you both a chance to sit down and discuss the rules. What is and what is not acceptable.
  • Enroll in the TEENS (Teen Electronic Event Notification Service) program. Parental enrollment in TEENS is voluntary, and there is no fee. There are three ways for parents to enroll in the program:
    1. Enroll in TEENS online through MYDMV, the new NYS DMV customer interface.
    2. Complete the MV-TEENS (Teen Electronic Event Notification Service (TENNS) Enrollment and Consent) and submit the form to the DMV.
    3. Enroll in TEENS when an eligible young driver applies for their learner permit at any local DMV office with their parent or guardian.

  • Know when you must withdraw your consent of driving privileges if your teenager is not ready for the responsibility of driving. Regardless of the reason, you can withdraw your consent for driving privileges if your teen is: under age 18, and has a driver license with a Class designation that includes the letter "J" (junior), for example "DJ" or "MJ".
  • We also encourage all of our youthful drivers to watch the video available from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. It is a 16 min free video: Young Drivers: The High Risk Years.

For more information on teens and auto insurance please feel free to contact me.

Lisa Flaherty, CISR
Licensed Account Executive
Tanner Insurance Agency, Inc.