25 Developmental Assets for Adolescents
1. Family Support - Family life provides high levels of love and support.
2. Positive family communication - Young person and her or his parent(s) communicate positively, and young person is willing to seek advice and counsel from parents.
3. Other adult relationships - Yound person receives support from three or more nonparent adults.
4. Caring neighborhood - Yound person experiences caring neighbors.
5. Caring school climate - School provides a caring, encouraging environment.
6. Parent involvement in schooling - Parent(s) are actively involved in helping young person succeed in school.
7. Community values youth - Young person perceives that adults in the community value youth.
8. Youth as resources - Young peole are given useful roles in the community.
9. Service to others - Young person serves in the community one hour or more per week.
10. Safety - Young person feels safe at home, school, and in the neighborhood.
Boundaries & Expectations
11. Family boundaries - Family has clear rules and consequences and monitors the young people's behavior.
12. School Boundaries - School provides clear rules and consequences.
13. Neighborhood boundaries - Neighbors take responsiblity for monitoring young people's behavior.
14. Adult role models - Parent(s) and other adults model positive, responsible behavior.
15. Positive peer influence - Young person's best friends model responsible behavior.
16. High expectations - Both parent(s) and teachers encourage the young person to do well.
Constructive Use of Time
17. Creative activities - Young person spends three or more hours per week in lessons or practice in music, dances, theater, or other arts.
18. Youth programs - Young person spends three or more hours per week in sports, clubs, or organizations.
19. Religious Community - Young person spends one or more hours per week in activities in a religious institution.
20. Time at home - Young person is out with friends "with nothing special to do" two or fewer nights per week.
Commitment to Learning
21. Achievement Motivation - Young person is motivated to do well in school.
22. school Engagement - Young person is activey engaged in learning.
23. Homework - Yound person reports doing at least on hour of homework every school day.
24. Bonding to school - Young person cares about her or his school.
25. Reading for Pleasure - Young person reads for pleasure three or more hours per week.